Coconut oil as Massage oil
Coconut oil for massage might be new for western world but it has been around for long in tropical regions. This no surprise because these people understood benefits of the miracle fruit a long ago and thus have included it in their life in various ways. Things which started as common knowledge are getting scientifically proved now. Coconut oil serves as a great massage oil whether you go for massage yourself or through therapist. Here are some benefits:
- Anti-microbial properties : Coconut oil has great anti-microbial properties. Medium chained triglycerides (MCTs) are considered to be great in treating various kinds of infections be it bacterial, viral or fungal. Coconut oil key constituents lauric acid and capric acid – both are known to show anti-microbial effect when broken down. So when coconut oil is applied on skin it helps skin get rid of harmful bacteria and fungus which breed on it. Thus saving body from infectious diseases
- Health skin : Coconut oil has vitamin E in it. Vitamin E is well known to nourish skin and make it smoother and softer. You will find many moisturizer creams and body creams having Vitamin E in them.
- Anti-ageing / anti-wrinkle : Ageing makes skin cell lose their flexibility, softness and colour. Coconut oil is helpful in making skin look younger. Along with vitamins present in it, its anti-oxidant effect also plays an important part in this process
- Easy absorption : A good massage oil should be easily absorbed by body. Coconut oil is absorbed so easily that sometimes massage therapist use extra external moisturizer to make sure there is lubrication left while massaging. Almond oil is one common oil added for this purpose. Coconut oil is often mixed with other herbal oils and extracts to further enhance its effects.
- No stains : Coconut oil leaves no stains. Yes, this is a great news because most oils do leave stains and they are hard to go by.
- Muscle benefits : Massage with coconut oil can soothe and relax tight muscles in your body. This is great if you are tired due to physical activity.
Several people hate smell of massage oil, for example, I personally do not like mustard oil smell while using it for massaging. In case of coconut oil it is never the case. Pure coconut oil has mild coconut aroma which is just great!